There are many ways to use a vacuum cleaner – each with its own benefits and drawbacks – and it’s not always as simple as switching the machine on and starting. Of course, that can be an effective approach if all your floors are identical and you’ve set up the vacuum cleaner just as you want it, but in order to get the most out of your vacuum, it’s important to understand the different ways you can use it.
You need to know how to vacuum carpet effectively and how to use a vacuum cleaner properly. Keep reading for some vacuum cleaner tips that you may not be aware of.
What is a Vacuum Cleaner?
A vacuum cleaner is a cleaning device that consists of a power source, usually electrical, and usually some form of bag or receptacle where the gathered debris is collected. Typically, there’s also some method of moving or steering the appliance so that it can be directed at the mess to pick it up before depositing it in its collection area.
The debris is picked up by the generation of a vacuum which creates suction. The exact method for creating this vacuum varies between machines, but the end result is the same – your vacuum cleaner sucks up the dirt.
How to choose the right vacuum cleaner for your needs
To choose the right vacuum cleaner, it’s most important to know what type of surface you’ll be cleaning most often. Is it carpets and bare floors? Is it things like removing pet hair from upholstery?
Different types of vacuum cleaners will deal with different kinds of debris. If you pick a machine that isn’t suitable for your needs, you won’t enjoy using it – and in some cases, it could even be dangerous.
To help you choose the right vacuum cleaner for your needs, ask yourself these questions:
- 1. What type of flooring will I mostly be cleaning?
- 2. Will I need to get rid of pet hair?
- 3. How much storage space do I have available?
- 4. How much noise do I want the vacuum to make?
- 5. What sort of budget am I working with?
When you know what you need, it’s easier to find a vacuum cleaner that can give your home the kind of cleaning experience you want. Make sure you look at each way carefully before choosing one.
You will often find that budget-priced vacuum cleaners will be noisy and have no configuration options. They may come with a few tools, such as an upholstery tool that allows you to get into the small crevices at the side of chairs but not much else.
One final consideration is the shape of the machine. Common vacuum cleaner types include stick/broom vacuums (lightweight, used in a similar manner to a broom, lower-powered), upright (similar to broom vacuums but heavier and more powerful), or canister (with a long hose and head separate to the main body of the vacuum, offering balanced performance). A final choice is a handheld vacuum, which will usually be low-powered, battery-operated, and suitable for small jobs around the home.
How to use a vacuum cleaner properly for the best cleaning results
Most people won’t think about how to use a vacuum cleaner properly and will just get on with the job, but this can be quite inefficient.
Many vacuum cleaners have a switch to change the machine’s configuration between carpet settings and hard floor settings. This can adjust the distance between the suction head of the vacuum and the floor to make it easier to move the machine around and apply the right amount of suction for the flooring type in question.
Some vacuum cleaners allow you to manually set the suction head’s height. They will work more efficiently on hard floors with the suction head set low to the surface; others need to be raised up higher. Carpets, of course, need more suction power than hard floors, as dirt can cling more easily to the fibers in the carpet.
If you don’t adjust your vacuum cleaner settings appropriately for each floor type, it can take much longer to clean your home – and you’re also likely to miss dirt, dust, and other debris on your flooring.
TIPS FOR VACUUMING CARPETS EFFECTIVELY:
- – If you have a canister vacuum cleaner, use an upholstery tool for vacuuming carpeted stairs. This will help you use a low amount of force to pull out the dirt from deep in the fibers, and you can get right into the corners.
- – If you have a vacuum cleaner with a hose on it, use it to vacuum stairs and upholstery. You won’t have to move the bulky vacuum cleaner every time.
- – Use gentle strokes when you are vacuuming, as this will help prevent damage to the flooring. It may be unnoticeable, but wear and tear are inevitable every time you vacuum the floor.
- – Vacuum in a crisscross pattern across the carpet to pick up the most dirt and debris from all angles. You don’t need to vacuum back and forth over an area several times to get it clean! In fact, if you do that, you may just warp your flooring fibers.
- – Continue vacuuming until you remove all the dirt from the carpet. When your vacuum cleaner is full, empty it into your trash can to remove all that debris.
TIPS FOR VACUUMING HARD FLOORS EFFECTIVELY:
- – Use a damp mop to clean hard floors if you want a deep clean. If not, use a dry mop instead to pick up dust and other surface debris.
- – When vacuuming wood flooring, make sure you vacuum in the direction of the grain of the wood. This will prevent damage to the fibers of your floors.
- – Vacuum tiles in the same way you would vacuum hardwood flooring. Make sure you use a dry mop to clean the grout between the tiles, as it can become dirty over time.
- – Vacuum all types of marble flooring with your vacuum’s suction set as low as possible. Because these floors are so smooth, they need less suction – otherwise, you could risk damaging or scratching the surface of your floors.
Vacuum cleaner tips and tricks for getting the most out of your machine
Vacuum cleaners have come a long way since their invention way back in the late 1800s. You now know the best way to clean your floors and how to use a vacuum cleaner at home, but floors aren’t the only items that benefit from vacuuming.
- 1. Use the upholstery tool on furniture. It concentrates the suction and allows you to reach down the gaps between cushions and other pieces of soft furnishing.
- 2. Upholstery tools are great for getting rid of pet hair from furniture, too.
- 3. If you have a canister vacuum cleaner with attachments, use the hose to vacuum your car seats and your car’s interior. You’ll be able to suck out dirt and debris that has been left there ever since you last cleaned out the car – without having to drag the vacuum cleaner outside.
- 4. Don’t forget your car mats, either! Take them out of your vehicle and give them a good hoover every now and again to keep them looking fresh.
The benefits of using a vacuum cleaner regularly to keep your home clean and tidy
First and foremost, your home will look much better after being vacuumed properly. You’ll most likely feel better, too!
It’s not a psychological trick, as some vacuum cleaners are fitted with HEPA filters that are designed to trap small particles. Regularly vacuumed homes are much less likely to attract dust mites, especially if the dust has been trapped with a filter.
Dust mites can trigger allergies and asthma – so keeping them away with regular vacuuming is a good idea. Vacuuming also does wonders for air quality, and HEPA filters can even remove unwanted odors from the air.
If you have pets, you’ll also be removing pet dander from the carpet and surfaces of your home. The more efficiently you can do this, the better – as pet dander is one of the most common triggers for people with allergies.
Concentrating on using these vacuum cleaner tips and tricks will help you get better results – so give all the areas in your home a good once-over every now and again to keep your home clean.
How to Vacuum Properly When You Have No Time
It can be easy to skip vacuuming your home in this busy world. If that’s the case, it is worth contacting a professional cleaning team to take care of it for you. With regularly scheduled appointments, your home will be cleaner than ever, and the number of allergens present in the air will be significantly reduced.
At Happy Clean, we use vacuum cleaners fitted with HEPA filters. We always offer the best service and go above and beyond to ensure your home is clean – if you need to see the difference professional vacuum cleaning can make, get in touch today.